Wednesday, September 26, 2012


As far as Chuck Parker is concerned, the definitive Robin Hood was photographed in Technicolor in 1938, starring "Arrow" Flynn. Then one Saturday he happens to see The Roots of Heaven, in which a much older Flynn plays a washed up drunk. It's quite a shock for Chuck. In my research I discovered that this film was shown in a Michigan theater at about the time that I have Chuck and his friend Stevie going to the movies. This was not your standard Saturday afternoon matinee fare. In all likelihood it would have been shown on a Friday night. But I didn't want to have Chuck going to the movies twice. So I collapsed the events. And anyway, we can imagine some sort of mix up or malfunction that made it necessary for the cinema to run this film instead of Hopalong Cassidy. Moreover, this is a movie about hunting and human guilt. The way this tied into Chuck's own hunting experience was too rich for me to ignore. Then when you throw in the very odd scene in which a grown woman is spanked -- given Chuck's current and running trouble with women -- I could hardly pass it up. The fact that the glamorous Robin Hood now is aged and shamefully debauched made this a priceless find. Do I need to come out and say Oedipal? Happy hunting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment